Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Doorways getting in the way again. Today, I ran into an elderly person in the street with whom I'm acquainted because he frequents my place of work once or twice a day. Not wishing to appear rude, I said "hi" and listened as he began to talk. As the doorway approached, I figured that since he is older, he likely wishes to open the door thereby simplifying my passage through. As the door was opened, I followed my plan of action only to recoil in discouraged frustration; he had not opened the door for me as I had suspected but for a mother who was waiting to pass through with her baby carriage. I foolishly walked through only to halt my progression upon recognition when I immediately felt incompetent, idiotic, and ineffectual. I tried to remedy the situation by agreeing to hold the door open for the mother at the same time noticing an electric door opening button. In my haste, I decided not to push the button and proceeded to stand there with the door open. Naturally, the elderly person walked through, pushed the button, and kept going. Doorways: I really can't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment