Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bear Sighting

Black bear sighted on the shores of Lake _______.

I've been kayaking around lakes in _______ for over a decade now, and until three days ago, had never seen a bear.

My eyes continuously move from the water (to stay on course) to the shoreline, since if you aren't consistently attentive, you may miss spotting resident wildlife (or hit a rock/sandbar/. . . ).

Foraging on the prowl.

And this time I couldn't believe it.

I've been mistaking stumps and bushes for bears since I started kayaking, is that a bear?, no, not a bear again, that also, is not a bear, the bears are obviously sleeping.

But this time I saw a big black image moving in the distance on a ridge.

The movement made me hopeful, but after years of disappointment, I kept my bliss in check.

As I approached, the image stopped moving, but I had seen it move, and it wasn't that hot, so I figured there was a high probability it was a bear, and eagerly stayed on course.

He or she had spotted me!

And as I came within safe viewing distance, there he or she was, vigilantly keeping track of my movements.

I enjoyed the sight for around 5 minutes, allowing myself to revel in my good fortune, before deciding to take my camera out of my backpack, to focus-in and snap.

But this movement spooked the bear and s/he went running off, up over the ridge into the forest beyond, a smart move for the bear, in case my backpack had been a rifle.

Unbelievably happy for the rest of the day.

Finally that stump or bush had actually been a bear!

Couldn't think of anything else as I kayaked back to my destination, overflowing with bliss, searching the wilderness for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment