Monday, December 21, 2020

When I was very young, I used to tape every version of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol that I could find on television, and then sit back to critically compare them, and even if none of them ever challenged the 1951 Alastair Sim classic, I still enjoyed engaging in the active festive reckoning.

It looks like there are a number of newer versions for me to check out these days, the tradition having fallen by the wayside in recent years, including a series starring Guy Pearce and Andy Serkis, and it looks like I can finally view the Patrick Stewart version!, but, for all the Scrooge manifestations I've seen, and have yet to see to keep up to date, there's another that I've watched throughout the years with traditional yuletide vigour. 

And that's An American Christmas Carol, with Henry Winkler as Benedict Slade, I still love that version to this day, and will be sitting back to watch it soon. 

It doesn't dwell on fancy sets and props, in fact it's quite barebones. 

But Winkler does such a great job in the miserly role.

And R.H Thompson adds a lot too.

😊

No comments:

Post a Comment