Thursday, July 29, 2010

Found myself in a poker showdown the other night, my friend P_______ and I being the last 2 standing in a 9 person game. Luck had played a significant role in my success. I had tied two hands, folded at the right moments, and won just often enough to stay alive. Suddenly, I found myself with the majority of chips and likely would have won if I had played things tight. But we'd been playing for 6 hours, my friend M_______ at whose flat I was crashing had passed out and had to work at 9:30 (it was 3:15), and everyone wanted to leave. So I figured I'd play it cool, one more hand, all or nothing, or, in this case, $40 dollars. My opponent respected my generosity and awarded me the decision to choose to take either the first or second card. I wasn't sure which card to take but in the NFL the team winning the coin toss usually chooses to receive, so I decided to take the first card. They were dealt and I was unfortunately defeated, two 5s to a pair of 3s. Still though, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment