Monday, June 6, 2011

I really dislike communication's metaphorical dimension sometimes. Today I presented an observation with the best of intentions, commending a friend for a brilliant piece of comedy he had written, without thinking about the implications of commending that specific comedic piece, which is my favourite part of his show.

Obviously if you have a number of emails to write each night and comments to make you can't analyze everything punctiliously, but taking the time to add that extra layer of metaphorical analysis before posting/emailing can save the best of intentions from turning sour.

It really is well-written comedy and I hope my comment was taken literally.

Presenting things with the best of intentions and having them turn sour is a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment