Sunday, December 18, 2011

Concentration

I've noticed one of the problems I'm having engaging in French conversations which is kind of funny when I think about it. The problem is that I haven't spent much time immersed in environments where French is the most prominent language of communication so when I find myself within them (with native French speakers as opposed to those for whom French is a second language whom I have an easier time understanding) I have to concentrate intensely to differentiate the words. When I concentrate intensely I have this stern inhospitable look on my face which isn't very comforting. Hence, while someone's saying something like "I saw this great film" or "my friend and I went to the park this afternoon" I'm looking at them as if I'm trying to discern what an esoteric genius is saying about Fredric Jameson during an abstruse lecture. Problematic to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment