Saturday, November 7, 2015

Red Squirrel

Chitter-chat pack react, apple fritter the ruse,
egotistic pretensions you boldly defuse,
sanctity's guardian chase the daylight,
scavenge and scamper to burnish, excite

in their sights you admonish the forest's renowned
denizens rumbling through plush tumbledown
chipper-chirping regalia, inaugurated,
pine needles hushing the fiercely deflated

prorated your bids to define splotchy hallow
ephemeral moments key lime in the shallows
as long as you bombastically snark the ruckus
I'll never endeavour to outshine your shushes

percussive.

*I had originally written "boundless grids" and was then going to write a couple of lines about how I encounter red squirrels wherever I go in the boreal forest, but then a red squirrel started chittering behind me, and I took his editorial advice to heart. "Boundless" was then replaced with "your," "consider" with "apple fritter," . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment