Monday, August 7, 2017

I wrote about fluently translating cool from one language to the next last month, after which I was fortunate enough to see Gad Elmaleh perform as part of Montréal's Just for Laughs festival.

His performance seemed effortless, I'm sure he won over part of the crowd, and a lot of his material seemed cool in English, and was applicable to different demographics, so I would go so far as to say it's possible that he can fluently translate cool from one language to the next, inherent linguistic performance anxieties notwithstanding.

There's only one problem.

He went on after Seinfeld.

I hadn't seen Seinfeld do anything since the show he created with Larry David ended in the '90s (apart from guest appearances on Curb Your Enthusiasm), and I was impressed to see that he's still incredibly funny and relevant.

He's a true Master, and it was super cool seeing him perform live.

Now, like The Kinks going on after The Beatles, or The Rolling Stones opening for The Blue Oyster Cult, as mentioned previously, Gad Elmaleh went on after Seinfeld, and even though he was funny at times, I'm afraid I can't accurately judge whether or not his performance was cool, because it just didn't come close to Seinfeld's.

I admire audacity however, and choosing to deliver his act after Seinfeld's was an audacious decision.

Nevertheless, I would have to see him live without Seinfeld to judge if he was fluently translating cool from language to another.

Perhaps in New York someday.

Or in feisty discerning downtown Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment