Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Québec's bill banning religious symbols in the public sphere surprises me, not only because such a remarkably small percentage of workers wear such symbols, but also because I know the Québecois are a strong people.

I see it every day, I see the strength of the Québecois everywhere, and strong people don't worry about something so minor, something so negligible, so scant, so easily dismissed.

I agree that church and state should be separate, but if you want me to believe that a tiny fraction of the population who happens to unobtrusively wear religious symbols at work in the public sphere poses a threat to the secular nature of Québec society, I can't take your point of view seriously.

There are so many other important issues the government could be focusing on. 

Why waste time creating legislation in reaction to a problem that doesn't exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment