Sunday, May 10, 2020

Tough to choose what film to watch sometimes, but when I was younger I would follow various actors. There were the big four comedy stars in my youth: Steve Martin, Dan Ackroyd, John Candy, and Bill Murray. I'd try to check out everything they made (if their films weren't restricted) and eventually expanded my list to include a variable host of alternative actors.

As time passed, directors became important too, and I started to spend more time consuming auteur-related repertoires. The independence and consistency was something else, and often made for compelling cinematic soirées.

The Criterion Collection offers the best of both worlds because if you want to watch films starring specific actors, Laurence Olivier for instance, their Criterions are often skilfully directed. 

You start to understand why Scorsese's so critical of contemporary film when you spend time viewing films he likely cherished in his youth (they're so well written).

The Criterion Collection offers fascinating insights into these eras.

Worth checking out for sure.

If you're looking for something alternative this pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment