Monday, May 3, 2021

Sorry for going on about how many environments require large carnivores like wolves or lions at times.

I don't like that cheetahs or jaguars hunt other animals and eat them, in fact I find it quite distressing, but practically every environmental book I've read and nature documentary I've seen emphasizes how large carnivores are essential to maintaining healthy ecosystems, to making sure there's enough food to go around, by ensuring deer populations etc. don't grow too large.

I don't apply this kind of thinking to social and economic structures organized by humans because I think we're advanced enough to outwit the unfortunate dynamics of nature, and can thereby create inclusive systems that emphasize lifelong learning, while leaving nature alone to thrive in secluded areas (or integrating the beasties who choose to live amongst us), which we'll hopefully leave alone ad infinitum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment