Saturday, February 26, 2022

I like Ukraine's chances.

Let's look at some numbers.

According to Google, Ukraine has a standing military with 200,000 troops. The last I heard, Russia was invading with 100,000. Now, it seems like Russia is the impressive juggernaut blitzkrieging it's way to victory, but I don't think that's going to be the case. I'm not a military analyst and I don't know much about Ukraine's army, but it has been preparing for this for at least 8 years now, and therefore likely has a working plan in place (as opposed to a country caught off guard like Germany or France would have been). So, Ukraine's army has been preparing for this for years, and they also have a huge population, almost 45 million people, if as low a number as 50% of them are committed to the fight, and I would wager 85% of them are fighting back, that's somewhat of an impossible number for a Russian force of 100,000 to overcome. According to Google, Russia can bring in millions more troops, but then they're committing their entire army to Ukraine, which will still have from my unofficial estimates, at least 22.5 million civilians fighting for their homes and democracy.

If 85% of Ukraine's civilians fight, that's an extra 38.25 million people facing unconscionable Russian aggression.

I know Russia is big and scary in one's imagination.

But if you crunch some basic numbers, I'd say Ukraine has a really good chance.

Vive l'Ukraine Independent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment