Wednesday, August 21, 2024

I was watching a scuba-diver hanging out with some humpback whales on Instagram the other day, and I suddenly wondered: do whales think we're angels? 

I often think whales have similar belief systems to our own because they have massive brains. Not that the size of the brain matters, bees seem to be quite intelligent too, but I can't imagine something with that colossal of a brain not being capable of considering things like the afterlife. 

And then snorkelers and scuba-divers just suddenly show up from above the water's surface, a place where they can't go (for long) and wave and potentially hug them, and then disappear, perhaps never to be seen again! 

Could such behaviour be traditionally mistaken for the emergence of angels?

When whales beach themselves, I often think a rogue demagogue whale has convinced them that they can live on the surface, and they foolishly follow his lead, like preachers warning about the end of the world, and their congregation stockpiling canned goods in turn. 

If they do think we're angels, I hope they never make it to the surface, for they may not like what they find. 🗽

Another reason I think this point may be valid is that whales and dolphins have odd sleeping habits. As far as I know, half of their brains are always awake, only half of a whale or dolphin brain sleeps at one time. This introduces a big difference between our species because our entire brain shuts off when we sleep, preventing the onset of psychosis (I hate it when I don't get enough sleep [all of my worst job experiences were ones that kept me up 20 hours a day]).

At least, I wonder why animals as intelligent as dolphins keep returning to areas where humans slaughter them every year. Why wouldn't an intelligent animal simply avoid the hunt and go somewhere else? Answer: they can't remember things well enough because their brains never fully shut down.

Thoughts. 🐋🐬 🧠

No comments:

Post a Comment