Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Cultural Appropriation?

I don't know if there should be an award for cultural appropriation, but, I have to admit that I find the phrase far too politicized for my liking.

For instance, if one is to write a multicultural script, they have to place themselves in the position of the other in order to ensure that the characters they create and their corresponding cultures are artistically represented. 

My understanding of the phrase is likely inadequate, and if I were to write a story my protagonist would likely be someone like me.

But if I were to include characters within the story/script who weren't freckly white boys, I wouldn't be trying to appropriate their culture by doing so.

I would just be writing a story with characters from different backgrounds.

If someone writes about a culture without spending time with that culture and is clearly writing about them with the goal of disseminating a negative stereotype, that's clearly loathsome. 

But perhaps the phrase multicultural creation should be substituted for cultural appropriation, some day if the timing's right, after the subject has become less volatile. 

Comedic writing may be a bit of a powder keg in this debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment