Thursday, February 21, 2019

Oscar Picks 2019

Some Oscar picks:

Actress in a Supporting Role: Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Actor in a Supporting Role: Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Cinematography: Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
Costume Design: Sandy Powell (Mary Poppins Returns)
Film Editing: Barry Alexander Brown (BlacKkKlansman)
Makeup and Hairstyling: Jenny Shircore, Marc Pilcher, and Jessica Brooks (Mary Queen of Scots)
Production Design: Nathan Crowley (Production Design) and Bárbara Enríquez (Set Decoration) (Roma)
Short Film (Animated): Louise Bagnall and Nuria González Blanco (Late Afternoon)
Short Film (Live Action): Marianne Farley and Marie-Hélène Panisset (Marguerite)
Documentary (Short Subject): Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton (Period. End of Sentence.)
Visual Effects: Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones, and Chris Corbould (Christopher Robin)
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Writing (Original Screenplay): Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly (Green Book)
Actor in a Leading Role: Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Actress in a Leading Role: Glenn Close (The Wife)
Directing: Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Best Picture: Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday, and Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)

Notes: I suppose Roma could win many awards, it's an outstanding film that excels on multiple levels. But, and perhaps I'm being old-fashioned here, I'm still not ready to fully endorse a film that was released on Netflix and never hit theatres (as far as I know). Watching a film at home and seeing one in theatres is a remarkably different experience, and the other nominees were shown in theatres and therefore I can't give Roma the special treatment it would otherwise deserve. Harrumph.

If Roma doesn't clean up the only categories that seem locked down to me are Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close) and Music (Original Song) (Shallow by Lady Gaga [preferred The Place Where Lost Things Go myself]). Rami Malek was outstanding but so was Viggo Mortensen. All of the nominees for Actor in a Supporting Role could win. It would be amazing to see Spike Lee win. Mother was an exceptional Live Action Short Film. Who knows for Visual Effects? Every screenplay nominated is a contender. Although I'd be surprised if Green Book didn't win most Original.

As to Best Picture, as I cruise around town and consider the impressions the nominees made on me, I have to admit that every time I choose one, another pops into my head and I think, yup, that one could win too. Without Roma as a sure thing, I really can't say who'll come out on top with any conviction. Could be The Favourite, could be Green Book. BlacKkKlansman has style. As does Bohemian Rhapsody.

I've never been more unsure of Oscar winners in my life.

Which makes the 2019 Oscars exciting.

And that isn't too bad come to think of it.

Not too bad at all.

*Rachel Weisz was very good in The Favourite too. I love Emma Stone, but Weisz might take it. Or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment