Monday, September 13, 2021

Fisher Sighting

Wow. I was beginning to think this would never happen.

Weasel sightings have been very rare in my life.

I've seen 7 or 8 mink over the years, but have yet to see a least weasel, short-tailed weasel, long-tailed weasel, marten, black-footed ferret, badger, or wolverine.

That's a lot of different animals that have remained rather elusive for over four decades in their entirety. 

Yesterday, I was out for a walk when I heard a noise in a tree. I thought, wow, whatever animal that is, they're moving at an accelerated pace. I looked up to see a giant creature rush up the trunk of a tree, out on to a branch, and then quickly back down the trunk of the tree.

He or she was really motoring at a speed uncharacteristic of any of the animals I'm familiar with. 

I'm thinking it was a fisher because it was so big, bigger than I would expect a marten to be, and according to google American martens jump from branch to branch from tree to tree. Apparently, also according to Google, fishers can easily climb trees, but don't very often, however, when they move along the ground they run or bound, which is what the "fisher" I saw did when it was finished in the tree.

If I had been closer I would have been able to make more precise observations.

I'm going with fisher.

Amazing that I finally saw one!

Although it may have been a rather large marten. 

😎

*As far as I know, there are no badgers or wolverines in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment