Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Skunk Night

I went for a walk the other night close to dusk just a little bit earlier, and for the first time in my life saw a total of five skunks during one laidback outing. 

I've seen plenty of skunks but I don't see them that often, I'd say just as frequently as foxes or beavers, but much less so than rabbits or raccoons.

Still, much more often than porcupines or bears or opossums or minks.

So to see 5 in one night, in three different locations, two lone individuals and one family of three, made for an amazing night, I couldn't complain.

I'm still pretty happy about it. 

I thought I may see another during my subsequent walks the following 2 evenings, but struck out unsurprisingly, as usual, imagine, 5 in one night. 

It made me wonder if there was an old First Nations legend about a special night in August, when the skunks gather carefree partout, and are much more easily seen (or perhaps once every 5 years or so).

I did a quick internet search and came up short but I admit that I'm still rather curious. 

By the way, I think skunks are adorable.

Just give them a wide berth.

For obvious malodorous reasons.

*Did smell one tonight although I didn't see one.

**Keep your dogs on a leash!

***Cats have more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment