Tuesday, August 11, 2009

At the other end of the arcade someone looked over in my direction while I counted the divisions in the window above the arch, numbering 6. I stood in the parking lot examining things when it dawned on me that I could examine its contours from several points of view, each look unravelling a different compartmental design, each stance, a revitalized source. I wasn't wearing a jacket so I quickly returned inside to sit in a comfortable chair and tend to personalized administrative odds and ends as the multidimensional frame transformed into a focused uniformity.

It's just a hobby, right, like karate, or puzzles. Something I do, gave up other things to do so that I could do one thing potentially better than those things by the time I'm 42. I do other things as well that are partially unrelated but still sedentary and free. Boring, boring, boring. Wouldn't mind playing squash or learning Aikido or sky diving or planting a garden, whistling like a whippersnapper, recycling reset reveries, dining. Think I've mentioned these things before.

Out of films to see to so I watched Gary Winick's Bride Wars the other night. It's about two best friends who have been best friends for life but suffer a terrible falling out when both of their weddings must be held on the same day at New York's Plaza Hotel (where they've always dreamed of getting married). They both do their best to sabotage the other's wedding as no compromise can be reached. What I liked were the different styles in which Candice Bergen's character was presented (and Anne Hathaway's wide emotional range). She narrates and plays a wedding planner but while her narration is insightful and astute, her physical dialogue is generally not. I figured this was Winick's subtle elevation of hindsight, the juxtaposed deliveries illustrating the ways in which it's easier to sound more profound when you're not caught up in the spirit of the moment. Almost fell asleep near the end and didn't finish my popcorn.

I'd like to place several hooks in the ceiling and then hang things from them and then rearrange the look from time to time. When I took the elevator earlier this evening it spent a longer amount of time than usual descending from the 5th floor to the 4th. Just kind of swayed there, perceptibly sustained. If I was a rebellious ant I'd use the lampshade on my left as a giant slide and then slide accordingly. There are two paintings on my right that I had trouble making sense of when I was 6 and I still don't know what to make of them. I used to love lying awake in bed in the morning up north listening to the fridge hum after it turned on. Never used to wake up during thunderstorms. So many products are becoming hypoallergenic. Don't spit my gum on the road so that squirrels don't eat it. Flickering forests in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment