Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Usually, I dislike it when people appear out of the blue and ask me a question without using direct subjects or objects, as if I'm supposed to immediately know what they're talking about based upon the ways in which their intonation precisely matches that used in a previous conversation. Then when I have to ask what it is they are talking about, they cleverly respond with some sprightly witticism designed to make me feel worse. At least, I used to think that this is what people were doing, each and every time, with no recourse to any other possible interpretation, forever. Until today, when I accidentally greeted someone in the aforementioned fashion, with no cunning intention whatsoever, and listened as they responded with the same frustration with which I usually respond. I initially felt foolish, but afterwards, like an invincible He-Man. I continued sweeping the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment